Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Day in the Life

The speed of technology in China is beyond frustrating. Picture this: I'm sitting here with my laptop directly in front of me as I wait for Google to load. So far, it's taken about five minutes.

To my right in my iPad, where I'm patiently trying to download some TV shows. I got about 1/8 of the way through "Modern Family" when it crashed. Now I'm trying "The Daily Show." So far: 12.5 MB of 230 MB. Make that 12.6. Yes, it's that slow.

To my left is my trusty Kindle, where I'm 4 percent of the way through "Born to Run." People who use only fancy devices don't live in China, where having a good old-fashioned Kindle loaded with lots of books provides reading material that will never crash. And while it's true that a real book with real pages would also do the trick, I like the idea of having three screens going at once, kind of like I imagine an air traffic controller does. Right, Glenn?

No comments:

Post a Comment