Thursday, January 12, 2012

How to Overcome Jet Lag

I've discovered the perfect cure for jet lag, although it may not work for other folks in other cities.

Go out on a frozen lake, preferably Houhai Lake in Beijing, and ride a bike on skates, preferably at breakneck speed. If you can, pick a day when the air quality is only "unhealthy" and soak in the filtered sun on your face.

For a true jet lag cure, figure out how to get the bike sliding so fast on the pocked ice that you can whip around and go backwards as you cut a sharp turn.

Finish up with a communal lunch at the oldest restaurant in Beijing, where for about 40 RMB ($6.33), you can have multiple dishes and tea and listen to all the other expat wives raving about how much they love their life in China and how much they dread going back home to a mundane world. Even the Brazilian.

I am cured. I still miss drinking tap water and being able to download my New Yorker onto my iPad in 3 minutes, But I can say I'm seeing the other side of the picture on the other side of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment