Monday, March 19, 2012

A Cautionary Tale


I spend my days on the lookout for stories that I might use for my freelance career or for entertaining the readers of this blog. But then I come across something that just stops me cold, especially when I realize I’ve now gotten to the point where I don’t have my heart in my throat when I cross Beijing’s traffic-clogged streets.

Lesson: Maybe I should keep my heart in my throat and my wits about me. Just today a friend grabbed my arm as I started to march across a street without looking. What gets me about this story is that the guy hit a traffic cop so hard he actually flipped onto the roof of the car. And the police let him go. They let him go.

I’m wondering if it’s just a matter of time before I find my own body sailing up across the hood of a car that just didn’t see me.

Traffic cop hit by absent-minded driver
Global Times | March 18, 2012 18:48
By Agencies

A video showing an incident in which a traffic officer in Nanning in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region was "hit and sent flying" by a car making a left turn at an intersection has over 1.5 million views on popular Chinese video-sharing website Youku.

The accident happened around 7:50 am on March 7. Traffic police officer Ding Jie was standing in the middle of the intersection to guide traffic, helping many morning commuters make left turns onto Minzu Road. Out of nowhere, a gray car suddenly accelerated and hit Ding.

Ding said when the car hit him, his reflex was to use his hands to launch his body onto the hood of the car, preventing him from being run over.

The bumper left a scratch on his feet, and a subsequent medical examination showed that there were no other injuries.

The driver said he was rushing to work, and was trying to pass others on the inside. As a result, he was paying attention to the car on his right and failed to notice the police officer on his left.

After chastising the driver, the police let him continue on his way.

Global Times - Agencies

No comments:

Post a Comment