Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A China Moment

I’ve been pretty down on China lately, starting from our where’s-the-runway, polluted landing return Tuesday from Thailand. Getting body-slammed in the airport and then fighting a monumental headache thanks to the hazardous air pollution didn’t make me love the country much either.

In the gym yesterday, three treadmills were out of service. I chose one, and started to jog while watching an episode of “Modern Family.” In comes a Chinese man who stands on a treadmill next to me, turns on the TV, and leans back against one of the bars of the machine while watching CCTV.

Next he takes a phone call on his cell, and starts yelling to his friend. I catch his eye, do a Charlie-Bruno-style “what the hell are you doing?” shrug with raised eyebrows, and he leaves. After I finish I see him chatting up the girls at the reception desk with a cigarette tucked behind his ear. I guess I should be grateful he didn’t start smoking in the gym.

But now I feel a whole lot better about things, chiefly because my friend Danielle is having a “China Moment” party where we are all supposed to come dressed up in our best Chinese fashion. Joanna helped me shop, and we scoured the shops under the Wu Mart today, coming up with some excellent finds.

1.      Gold glittery nail polish for my nails, 30 RMB ($4.82).
2.      Short boots, fake-fur-lined, with a fat belt of silver and gold gems across the top, 100 RMB ($16).
3.      A gold-studded red baseball cap, 30 RMB.
4.      Star-shaped cougar-print earrings, a splurge at 50 RMB ($8).
5.      Purple and black leopard print leggings, lined, 30 RMB.

I’ll add my “Pratie Makes Perfect” t shirt and I should be ready to party. You want to see photos, you say? Oh, there will be photos, just wait. Meanwhile, my new saying is, “If you can’t beat them, join them.”
China: One
Debbie: One

No comments:

Post a Comment